Class: Edsall class Destroyer Escort
Number of boats in class: 85
Builder: Brown Shipbuilding, Houston Texas
Keel Laid: July 15, 1942
Launched: November 22, 1942
Commissioned: May 31, 1943
Decommissioned: January 1947
Length: 306 feet
Beam: 36.58 feet
Draft: 10.42 full load feet
Armament: three 3in/50 guns; two quad 40mm AA guns; 10 twin 20mm guns; three 21inch torpedo tubes; eight K-guns; 1 hedgehog projector; two depth charge racks
Maximum speed: 21 knots
Range: 9,100nautical miles at 12 knots
Complement: 8 officers, 201 enlisted
Propulsion: four GM diesel engines; four diesel generators; 6,000shp; 2 screws
USS Stewart began her patrols out of Miami, then as a “school ship” training student officers out of Norfolk, VA. She escorted President Roosevelt in the presidential yacht down the Potomac River to rendezvous with USS Iowa for his mission to Casablanca and Tehran. In 1944, she commenced North Atlantic convoy operations, making 30 crossings with occasional enemy submarine and aircraft encounters. On April 9th, 1945, Stewart rescued the surviving members of the SS Saint Mihiel-SS Nashbulk collision and helped put out fires and salvage the ships. During her many convoys, heavy seas and icing conditions were frequent.
Stewart moved to the Pacific theater in mid 1945, and conducted training exercises out of Pearl Harbor until the end of the war. She was decommissioned in late 1945 and changed berths 3 times before arriving at Seawolf Park In 1974. She is the only ship of her class in the US and the third ship (DD-13, DD-224, and DE-238) named for Rear Admiral Charles Stewart who commanded another ship in the historic naval fleet, USS Constitution, from 1813 to 1815.
USS Stewart was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.